I'm sorry, I mean a dhcp client, not a server, the dhcp server should already be on the network. The most popular and easiest client IMHO is dhcpcd.

Like I said, "emerge dhcpcd"

HTH
Draeven

Draeven wrote:
Did you remember to emerge a dhcpcd server?

If not "emerge dhcpcd"

Draeven

Charles Trois wrote:

Draeven a écrit :

Charles Trois wrote:
Charles,

Did you do a "rc-update add net.eth0 default" so that the interface is brought up at boot?

You may also want to take a look at this section of the Gentoo Handbook:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-ppc.xml?part=4

I am still working hard at this; I even have burnt a new CD and
reinstalled from it, but there is nothing doing. To state my problem
again, it occurs on an G4 iMac with the Gentoo universal
ppc-install-2005.1 disc. At the end of the boot process, just before the
login, I get this:

 * Starting syslog-ng ...

[ ok ] * Starting gpm ...

[ ok ] * Starting eth0
 *   Bringing up eth0
 *     Configuration not set for eth0 - assuming dhcp
 *     dhcp
 *       Running dhcpcd ...

[ !! ] * Starting vixie-cron ...

[ ok ] * Starting local ...

[ ok ] * ERROR:  Problem starting needed services.
 *         "netmount" was not started.

And the corresponding bit in /var/log/messsages is:

Dec  1 11:00:55 sirrah rc-scripts: Configuration not set for eth0 -
assuming dhcp
Dec  1 11:01:55 sirrah dhcpcd[4718]: timed out waiting for a valid DHCP
server response
Dec  1 11:01:55 sirrah cron[5378]: (CRON) STARTUP (V5.0)
Dec 1 11:01:56 sirrah rc-scripts: ERROR: Problem starting needed services.
Dec  1 11:01:56 sirrah rc-scripts:         "netmount" was not started.
Dec  1 11:02:50 sirrah login(pam_unix)[5457]: session opened for user
root by (uid=0)

The cause of the trouble seems to be pointed out by the line
"dhcpcd[4718]: timed out waiting for a valid DHCP server response" (and
there is indeed quite a delay at the stage "Running dhcpcd").

But now what can I do to get this "valid DHCP server response"? There
seems to be nothing about dhcp in the .config file: what then? does it suppose that I am already connected to the Net?

Charles