Hello Nick,
I checked your syslog-ng.conf. The only difference is logging to /dev/console
instead of /dev/tty12. Just give it a try.
I suggest to solve the problems in the order as they appear while booting.
So first of all you need an working syslog-ng.
I installed version 1.6.8-r1 with default syslog-ng.conf.
Please try syslog-ng -s /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf;echo $?
to check your config file.

After this please check your hotplug config:
cat /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug
It should be /sbin/udevsend.

To find out what goes wrong you should make an lsusb which is provided by
sys-apps/usbutils.

Best regards Joerg