I had a problem when I upgraded kernels as well. When on the 2.6.15 kernel I2C was a module. I did not change this config when I first compiled the 2.6.16 kernel. I re-compiled w/ I2C compiled intot he kernel & the lcd & sensor started to work but I still cannot get the keyboard light to work.

Konstantin V. Gavrilenko wrote:
I have the same problem as you do, but in my case the ambient lights
sensor doesn't work either.
This happened after a switch from 2.6.15 to 2.6.16. I think the reasons
might be in the I2C module that has been changed.

In the 2.6.15 it was I2C_KEYWEST while in 2.6.16 it is named  I2C_POWERMAC.
Wrote an email to the author of the pbbuttons but had no reply. It would
be great if we can sort out the problem in this list.

p.s.
machine         : PowerBook5,4
motherboard     : PowerBook5,4 MacRISC3 Power Macintosh
detected as     : 287 (PowerBook G4 15")

pbbuttonsd, version 0.7.5
Linux maca 2.6.16-gentoo-r7

yours,
kos