apple kernel ?  that would be darwin.  i think you mean linux kernel ?

i dont append any kernel options. you want open firmware framebuffer and radeonfb or nvidiafb compiled in the kernel. not sure if enabling the edid or ddc options will help. i dont have a mac mini, just 2 ibook g4's, not sure how different they are.

matt

there is also #gentoo-powerpc on freenode too :)

My question at this time is how to append kernel boot options in
/etc/yaboot.conf. When I boot the apple kernel from the Gentoo CD then
when it switches to (I guess) the framebuffer where I see Tux the text
on my monitor is jerky and not too readable. However if I use the
suggested version

apple video=ofonly

then the text is fine. Scanning around on the web I found this example
of how to do the same thing in yaboot.conf:

image=/boot/kernel-2.4.26-gentoo-r3
        label=2.4.26-gentoo-r3
        root=/dev/hda4
        append="video=ofonly"
        read-only

I have added this to my /etc/yaboot.conf file but the video is still
jumping around and isn't too readable.

None the less the machine is completely up and running and doing an
emerge -DuN system so this machine, which has sat on the shelf
untouched for over a year, is not usable hardware thanks to Gentoo.

Cheers,
Mark