Thanks for the help everyone. FYI, this is the reply I ( eventually )
got from alsa-user:

> A pc has two soundcards, and two users. I want one soundcard to be
> accessible ONLY to one of the users, the other - ONLY to the other
> user.

The device files in /dev/snd/ with a C in their name are card-
specific (the digit following the C is the card number).

> Can this be done through .asoundrc ?

Probably not.  You could create user-specific .asoundrc files that
redefine the default device, but those wouldn't prevent the users from
accessing other cards directly.

HTH
Clemens