> hub.c: new USB device 00:02.0-2, assigned address 5
> usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
> usb.c: USB device not responding, giving up (error=-110)
> hub.c: new USB device 00:02.0-2, assigned address 6
> usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=6 (error=-110)
>
> Can someone give me a hand here?

I'm afraid not (at least not by me), but I do have the same problem.
It doesn't happen always, but about every other time after a reboot.
Also, when the USB device is already plugged in when booting, chances
seem higher that things go wrong.  Also, during large fetches
(emerge -uf world) the drive may suddenly switch to read-only mode.
Finally, the USB driver may even stop working altogether, as is logged
as a kernel message ('usb blah blah stopped working. not good', or
something to that effect).

Very same laptop / USB device combo works OK when I boot into Win2K...

A short Google gave me one interesting hit:
  http://www.linux-usb.org/FAQ.html#ts6

I'll have to try that out (fiddle with the 'Expected OS' setting in
the BIOS).  It may be an interrupt thing.  Perhaps it works for you.

Gwendolyn.