On Monday 31 March 2003 04:17 am, Chris van der Pennen wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 16:42, Adam Mercer wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm going to be building a new system soon and I am in the process
> > of deciding what to go for. Currently I'm been hearing good things
> > about the nForce 2 chipset, specifically the Abit NF7. Has anyone
> > had experience with this board or the nForce 2 chipset under Gentoo
> > before. Hows driver support for example, the NF7 comes with onboard
> > lan and sound, are these supported?
>
> Works fine for me.  Onboard lan is supported by the nforce-net
> ebuild, in a similar fashion to the nvidia-kernel ebuild.  Sound is
> in alsa, but you will need to use ~x86 to get support, until rc8
> makes stable. (snd-intel8x0)
>
> Sensors doesnt work yet, but support is planned for 2.8.0, so unless
> you want to pull the latest one from cvs you'll have to wait.
>
> That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
>
> Chris

        Chris is correct in his assessment though instead of emerging the
nforce-net package, I would recommend a manual install of nvidias
nforce drivers. (NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0248.tar.gz) available from nvidia's
site. This package includes sound drivers. You will want to install
these before that first reboot so you will have network support.
See: http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_nforce_1.0-0248
        The nv-net driver is on the 1.4-r3 live CD and will load automagicly.
You will however need to boot the CD with the "gentoo nonet" option.
        I'm running the Leadtek K7NCR18D-pro here and except for some DMA
problems and the lack of SPDIF support, I'm very happy. Another problem
I've heard of is the fact that agpgart is a problem so you would likely
have problems with AGP acceleration with anything other that an Nvidia
graphics card. There are forums outthere that you might look at. One of
the best is at: http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=29
Hope this helps
--
Regards, Ernie