Spider wrote:

> Okay, I'll take the bait... here

Thanks for your response.  As far as I can tell I agree with you.

Gentoo is a 'do-it-yourself' distribution, and very good at it.  The
(true) bugs people experience and report are inevitable when you take
into account the rate of change in the packages.  Let's hope we take
turns in experiencing an installation (emerge) setback, try to resolve
it, and file a bug report with (hopefully) a suggestion for a fix.
After the fix is applied, everything is OK again, and we all profit.

I don't see much point in graphical installers, and actually not even
in the binary packages Gentoo already offers on the CD images.  The
reason that even a plain RedHat install is bulky is simply because
they want to make all people happy, and turn on many --enable flags
when building their RPMs.  Consequently, many dependencies arise.  I
don't see how an 'Enterprise Gentoo Linux' install CD would change
that.  Compiling from source is not really an option for the average
Linux user, I think.

What I can see is a sysadmin maintaining a master Gentoo system, that
has all the stuff the employees of that specific company need (or for
a set of systems that suit a particular purpose).  The binary packages
can be created on that master system, and be applied to other systems
when things check out OK.  Perhaps some more tools are needed to make
that process more painless, but I would focus on that, rather than on
ready-made installers.

Gwendolyn.