> the emerge fails with the following error message:
>
> !!! ERROR: x11-base/xfree-drm-4.3.0-r4 failed.
> !!! Function src_unpack, Line 114, Exitcode 0
> !!! Please set at least one video card in VIDEO_CARDS. USE is
> deprecated.
>
> What is VIDEO_CARDS and where do I set it?

Either set your video card using something similar to
'VIDEO__CARDS="radeon" emerge xfree-drm' or 'USE="radeon" emerge
xfree-drm'. You can set VIDEO_CARDS in make.conf, similar to ALSA_CARDS,
or on the command-line when emerging.

Do emerge -vp xfree-drm to get possible USE flags. Possible VIDEO_CARDS
settings are in the top of the ebuild near IUSE.

This is aimed to remove hardware from USE flags.