> I'm trying to make working the sound on my notebook. A kind
> guy already
> explained to me that I need acpi support and that can work
> just using
> 2.4.19 kernel (wrong patches for 2.4.20 aparently.)

That one is new for me (that ACPI is required for sound).  But, I do
have a new laptop running ACPI (the patch from sourceforge) with
kernel 2.4.21, and alsa-driver and alsa-utils installed.  It works
fine.

I don't emerge my kernels, I just get what I want.  You have to
manually configure and build them anyway.

BTW, did you unmute your soundcard channels?  After each (re)install
they are muted.  Check with alsamixer: if you have "MM" at the top of
the volume bar, they're muted!

> I saw that there is a apci4linux USE option, should I use it in
> compiling kernel?

I guess you should set it before emerging a kernel; I suppose it will
get the acpi patch, and apply it.  Check the ebuild!  When compiling
the kernel that flag is not used.

Gwen.