---------- quoting Gour ----------
> I'm planning to switch to Gentoo from SuSE by buying 1.4 Gentoo
> Linux CD set.
>
> What is the correct version for my Celeron 566: i686 or Pentium III
> CdD set?

There isn't a special version of Gentoo. Just grab a x86 LiveCD, boot
from it and install as described here [1].

The only important thing for you is that you choose the right gcc
compiler flags, so that your compiled code is understandable and
optimized for your CPU. More info is avail. here [2].

HTH! Greetins, Matthias

footnote:
[1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml
[2] http://www.freehackers.org/gentoo/gccflags/flag_gcc3.html

--
Matthias F. Brandstetter [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
now playing "Groove Salad: a nicely chilled plate of ambient beats and