Hello,

How long are the compatibility names going to be necessary for devfsd? I tried turning them off in /etc/devfsd.conf to see what would happen and bootup didn't proceed very well, as fdisk was not able to find any /dev/hda* devices to work on.

This leads to two questions - is there a downside to having the compatibility nodes (presumably it makes the /dev directory more complicated), and are the various programs that make use of the deprecated names actually changing their code to use the new ones?

How long is it likely to be before we reach a stage where we can ditch the old names?

Cheers,

Andy