On Tuesday 22 July 2003 12:34 am, Renat Golubchyk wrote:

> > > It's both (like vim, too)
> >
> > Isn't vim dependant on gtk when running as a X app though? I think the
> > OP (for some unknown reason) didn't want an application that depended
> > on either GTK or QT.
>
> Actually, gvim can be compiled without GTK but with Motif support. I don't
> like it that way, but it would at least fit the condition of not being
> dependent on GTK or QT.

There may not be an ebuild for it, but vim can also be compiled against Xlibs
(or at least that used to be possible!).  If you go that route the only GUI
dependencies are the libraries required for a minimal X system.  It looks
like hell, but it works fine.   Vim's the only editor I know of that can be
compiled against all of the major widget libraries (Gtk, KDE, Motif, Win32,
Xlib, or just console based) - you get to pick how much "bloat" you are
willing to tolerate.

On the bloat vs. useful features scale, vim does better than any other editor
I know of...  The only downside, IMHO, is the learning curve...

Josh