On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 04:54:40AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 19:42, Brett I. Holcomb wrote:
> > Mine did that, too.  You may be connected fine but XMMS will read the tracks
> > but the audio comes through the connection between the CD and the sound card.
> >  You may be fine - I was throwing out something that worked for me.
> >
> If you saying that xmms will not read the audio data digitally and send
> it to my card then it won't work in my system. I don't use the sound
> card to CD audio cable in any of my machines and haven't in a long time.
>
> I didn't even think of that, but that could be the reason, I suppose.

   Hmmm.  The xmms-cdread plugin that was suggested earlier can do either;
from the Audio I/O Plugins tab in xmms, if you select libcdread.so, then
'Configure', then select the Output tab of the new dialog box that pops up,
one of the options there is 'Read Digital CD Audio' versus 'Play Audio CD
Directly'.  If you don't have the actual wires set up, then you want to do
the former, of course.

   Of course, the default CDaudio plugin that comes with xmms should also
read the data from the CD and then play it, rather than just letting the
drive play it, so it shouldn't need the wires hooked up either.  Checking
the Configure options of that, it does give you an option as to whether to
use the 'OSS Mixer' or 'CDROM drive' as what the volume setting bar should
map to.

   Xmms can do just about anything, but one of the downsides of that is the
multiplicity of options to deal with.