[ snips ]

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 09:48:38 +0900
Jason Stubbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Saturday 23 August 2003 00:22, Jeffrey Smelser wrote:
> > OK, maybe its just me and I am a control freak.. (hell, my wife says
> > I can be.. :) ).. How can anyone just write a script to emerge world
> > all the time and expect the system to just be ok?? Maybe its because
> > of my systems being here so long.  I have used gentoo since very
> > early in the process as I followed Robbins around with his how to
> > articles and was there when he decided to create this gentoo.
>
> I am one of the ones who does automatic updates, insane CFLAGS, runs
> 2.6.0-test3-mm3, gcc 3.3 and ~x86. As I said previously in the e-mail
> I'm sure prompted this one ;-), I've never had anything break so bad
> that the system's been unuable. The way I see it, someone's got to
> find the (almost always) small bugs that are missed by the developers

> The e-mail my script sends me tells me what packages were installed
> and at what point and why it failed if there was a problem. The first
> thing I do in the morning is check to see if any updates were made and
> then run etc-update to check for any modifications that may need to be

> The perl thing is an example of something that didn't halted my
> automatic updates. There was a couple of packages installed that
> blocked the perl update, so I had to sort it out manually the next
> day.
>
> To sum up, if you want absolutely no breakage then Dhruba, Collins and
> Spider have the right ideas - especially Collins with his "wait two
> weeks" policy.

Nothing wrong with your approach, Jason, it's just a bit more
venturesome that the average user would prefer. <grin>   Absolutely no
breakage is probably not a possibility, given the perpetual changes with
a myriad of packages.  Chicken I may be, but I've been sitting on the
latest changes to baselayout for a month or more, since I was burned
badly a long time ago.

I might add that I clone my system to a ready and wating partition
on a separate hard drive every couple of months.  Once in a while, even
my cautious approach leads to a bump in the road, so I like to have a
fallback position.

I like the scripts, and I may implement a -p only version when I
have the time.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the