On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 09:31:57PM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Owen,
>    Thanks for pointing that out. OK, so the UHCI part is presumably
> handled by my kernel. That's built in, not modular, so I won't see it
> with lsmod I suppose. The EHCI part I'm not sure about.
>
>    I'm starting to wonder if this is a USB 1.0 vs. 2.0 issue. This MB
> has 4 USB ports on the back panel in two stacks of two. The Asus manual
> says all of those are USB 2.0. I wonder if that can be right? Are all 4
> driven by the 00:10:03 USB 2.0 devices?
>
>    If so, then where are the 3 USB 1.0/1.1 devices coming out?
>
>    Maybe I just have my USB devices plugged intot eh wrong sort of USB
> port? I thought USB 2.0 controllers could interface with USB 1.0/1.1
> devices...

   They can.  If all you're using is the 1.0/1.1 level, then the UHCI
drivers are good enough.  The EHCI drivers only come into play if you
plug a USB 2.0 device into the ports.  I have an A7V8X myself, and have
plugged both types of devices in; in usbview, the one 2.0 device I had
installed (an external disc box) showed up under the 2.0 driver no
matter what port it was plugged into.

   The three UHCI devices are pairs of ports: two of them refer to the
two pairs of ports on the back panel, and the third one refers to the
pair of ports that's on the motherboard which you can connect up to
either the front panel or a slot plate on the back that should have
come with the motherboard.  The EHCI 'device' can control all three of
the other ones.  I'm not sure of the details for why it's set up like
that.

   One thing you may need... from your previous postings, you have a
_very_ minimal USB setup in the kernel.  From the Network UPS Tools
site that someone else pointed out, it refers to a 'hidups' driver for
several APC UPSes.  Yet your previous description of what parts of USB
you had installed in the kernel did _not_ include the USB_HID driver.
I suspect you'll need that, given the 'hid' in the driver name, as well
as the HIDINPUT and HIDDEV config parameters.

   Also, the USB_STORAGE parameter is more useful if you includ the
specific device drivers for various types of storage devices as well.

   As a note, I have a Logitech Wireless Trackman, an Epson scanner,
a Logitech QuickCam, a Wingman Precision Joystick, and a USB 2.0
5.25" disk drive enclosure, all hooked up via USB.