How do I change the the font size for my console shells to default to a specific size.

Right now they are super tiny and I have to manually change the size everytime I open
up a new
shell window.

I'm not to sure why they're so dam small. Trying to backtrack here and maybe someone
will see
where I went wrong. After installing Gentoo off CD I followed the "Desktop users
Guide" and chose
to use "XFree86 -configure" which created a functioning file that I cp'ed to
/etc/X11/XF86Config.

I've looked in the "rc.conf" file and the:

Consolefont="default8x16"

It also says I can find a good selection of fonts in /usr/share/consolefonts. I've
looked in this
file and this looks to be for font "styles/types". I just want to adjust the size
system wide if
possible.

Thanks,