Perhaps doing an emerge baselayout and then etc-update without paying attention could do that. I'm not really sure though. I don't have any /etc/modules.d/modules.net. That sounds like the most likely explanation to me, at least.

Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:
Hi,

strange happening: after my last Gentoo update the network setting
was lost, and when I tried to start it manually, this was written:

bash-2.05b# /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start * Bringing eth0 up... SIOCSIFADDR: No such device etho: unknown interface: No such device SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device etho: unknown interface: No such device SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device * Failed to bring eth0 up

Problem was that there was no eth0 entry in /etc/modules.conf

Solution was to

1. Create this file:

/etc/modules.d/modules.net

2. Make it have this content:

alias eth0 8139too

3. Call this helper script to get the new alias into modules.conf:

modules-update

OK, then "/etc/init.d/net.eth0 start" worked fine, but the question
remains: How could that happen?

What might I have done wrong during the update process that could have lead to me loosing the eth0 alias in the /etc/modules.conf file?

TIA,
Karl-Heinz