On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 18:18, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
> I just installed a 2nd video card in my box and hooked up a 2nd monitor.
> Now, what cool things can I do? :) I was thinking about using the 2nd
> monitor to extend my X desktop, but I don't know if that will work. My
> primary is a nice 17" that I run at 1024x768. The 2nd one is a wimpy 15"
> that can do 1024x768 but looks much better at 800x600. Can you mix and
> match resolutions like that?

(Not a reply really, but related).

Does anyone know of any good howtos for setting up Xinerama on a
dual-head Radeon 8500?  (Yes I've tried Google, and it's helped but
obviously not completely) My config works once in a while, but obviously
isn't quite correct because it doesn't always work, and never has worked
as expected (i.e. I've not been able to correctly get the correct
monitor to be monitor 1, monitor 2, etc., plus it's messed up stuff like
fonts so that I have to switch between 6 and 8 pt. all the time)

Here's my XF86Config:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "XFree86 Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        Screen      1  "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        Option         "Xinerama"  "true"
EndSection

Section "Files"
        RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
        ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "dri"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "xtrap"
        Load  "speedo"
        Load  "type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "keyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"
        Option      "Buttons" "6"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "Monitor Model"
        HorizSync    30 - 96.0
        VertRefresh  75
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor1"
        VendorName   "Dell"
        ModelName    "D1025TM"
        HorizSync    30 - 85.0
        VertRefresh  65
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Option     "AGPMode"                    "4"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "radeon"
        VendorName  "ATI Technologies Inc"
        BoardName   "Radeon R200 QL [Radeon 8500 LE]"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
        Screen      0
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Option     "AGPMode"                    "4"
        Identifier  "Card1"
        Driver      "radeon"
        VendorName  "ATI Technologies Inc"
        BoardName   "Radeon R200 QL [Radeon 8500 LE]"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
        Screen      1
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Card0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth 24

        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     1
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     4
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     8
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     15
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     16
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     24
                Modes     "1600x1200"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen1"
        Device     "Card1"
        Monitor    "Monitor1"
        DefaultDepth 24

        SubSection "Display"
                Depth 24
                Modes   "1600x1200"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Mode 0666
EndSection

Monitor0 is a Sony MultiscanG200, plugged into the DVI port with the
little VGA-DVI adapter and generally it's worked fine despite config
file changes.  Monitor1 is a Dell D1025TM, plugged into the VGA, and
whatever I do to change the config file it gives me an 'OUT OF  SCAN
RANGE' error.  Any help y'all can give me is much appreciated- rare that
something works so easily in Windows but gives me all this Linux
trouble... :(

Also, does anyone know if DRI is supported with Xinerama on the Radeons
in any of the XFree snapshots or in CVS?  Not really necessary, because
I can just switch to singlehead to game, but it would be nice to not
have to do that.

                        Bob Raymond