Can someone tell me if this could pose any problems and if so what would my recourse
be.

Sorry...

On section 8 of the install guide I have finished downloading the Stage3 tar.bz2.

At this point I've already executed the command "cd /mnt/gentoo" and then open links2
to download
the needed stage3 tarball. After the download completed..

I'm suppose to execute "tar -xvjpf /mnt/gentoo/stage3*"

1)
Instead I jumped the gun thinking that since I have already executed "cd /mnt/gentoo"
that I could
simply just execute "tar -xvjpf stage3*" without having to add /mnt/gentoo/ path to
the tar
command.

Would this have been fine to run the command like this at this point?

2)
Needless to say I didn't catch my mistake until about a minute after already executing
the (what I
think now) the wrong command. So I did a Ctrl C and then re-executed the command like
the
documentation wants. "tar -xvjpf /mnt/gentoo/stage3*"

If my initial execution wasn't correct, and see'ing what I didn't in number 2 above,
will this
overwrite the files that were already written or not? If not, what do I possibly need
to do to
correct this before I rm the Stage3tar.bz2 file?

Sorry for my noobness...

Thanks,
Joshua Banks