I have a couple of questions regarding installation of ebuilds.

I recently had to install a patched ebuild from a standalone ebuild supplied
by a gentoo developer. Although the man page for ebuild documents the use of
a standalone external file as a source for an ebuild, following the
directions resulted in errors complaining about paths and the ebuild not
being found under /usr/portage.  What's the correct procedure for installing
a standalone ebuild file and incorporating it into the build tree?

Along the same line, I've been wondering if 3rd party ebuilds for gentoo for
stuff not already in gentoo are common on places like freshmeat, as are
packages for other distributions for open source work not already available
through the distribution's regular channels.  The answer to the above
question would, of course, apply to any 3rd party ebuilds one might
download.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works    |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |       if you let it" |      available at