Hi Kevin,

Kevin Bucknum wrote:

The PC used for testing is a slow machine PII500 256MB RAM. To overcome the difficulty can I make use of the 2nd CD. If YES, then HOW. I already have all packages on the 2nd CD copied to Gentoo 1.4

Not sure what's on the second cd - back when I installed there was just one.
It sounds like you are trying to avoid compiling these packages, and in the
time you spent trying to get the binaries to work, the source would have
compiled by now. But if want to use the binaries - what does
echo $PKGDIR

I have browsed CD2 (second CD). There are many kde packages there in .tbz I have copied all of them to

/usr/portage/packages/

# echo $PKGDIR
empty return

B.R.