On Tuesday 21 October 2003 12:50 pm, Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi Robert,

> >>use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -p alsa-driver, and you se the latest
> >> is I seem to remember 0.9.7.

> # emerge search kernel
> * sys-kernel/genkernel   Latest version 1.8
>
>  From kernel.org
> The latest beta version of the Linux kernel is:  *2.6.0-test8
> <http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/patch-2.6.0-test8.bz2>*
> Can I upgrade it from the tarball to be download from kernel.org site?
>
> Please give me more information about which Gentoo forum.  I have been
> looking around for this topic.
Stephen,
Here's the linkd to the Official Gentoo furum- It's huge, and you get great
info for anything imaginable.

http://forums.gentoo.org/

Here's the link to a post I made on kernel 2.6.0-testx's, and installing it
from vanilla source, with a step by step foolproof method, that never touches
your present kernel setup.

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=97910&highlight=

Since you mentioned alsa sound, you need to compile alsa stuff directly into
the kernel, not as modules. My .config alsa section from 2.6.0-test8-mm1 is
shown below, but you might like to say "Y" to more items than I did, and in
the subsequent sound sections, say "Y" for your particular hardware. Then you
should emerge alsa-utils and probably alsa-mixer, but don't emerge the Gentoo
alsa drivers, because the 2.6 kernel provides those itself.

Robert Crawford

#
# Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
#