Just a thought, but if it is just booting, they you may be in trouble.
You should have set up the bootmanager in FreeBSD to that partition
where FreeBSD is installed.
Then you use LILO to point to

other = /dev/hdx#
   label = "FreeBSD"

You do not need to be able to mount te partition to boot it.

On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 13:46, Ken McLennan wrote:
> G'day there Gentoo List Members,
>
>       I originally wrote a query in this message inquiring into non-root access, but
> before sending it I found the answer in the forums. I've now fixed that problem
> (thanks very much to the Gentoo community), but I still have one to go and I'm
> stumped..
>
>       My fstab file is thus:

> <dump/pass>
>
> # NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
> /dev/hdb5             /boot           ext3            noauto,noatime          1 1
> /dev/hdb7             /               ext3            noatime                 0 0
> /dev/hdb6             none            swap            sw                      0 0
> /dev/hdb8             /usr            ext3            noatime                 0 0
> /dev/cdroms/cdrom0    /mnt/cdrom_0    iso9660         users,noauto,ro         0 0
> /dev/cdroms/cdrom1    /mnt/cdrom_1    iso9660         users,noauto,rw         0 0
>
> /dev/hd0              /mnt/floppy     vfat            users,rw,noauto         0 0
> /dev/hda1             /mnt/c_drive    ntfs            users,ro,auto           0 0
> /dev/hda2             /mnt/d_drive    umsdos                                  0 0
> /dev/hdb2             /mnt/e_drive    vfat            users,rw,auto           0 0
> /dev/hdb3             /mnt/f_drive    ufs             ufstype=old             0 0
> /dev/hdb4             /mnt/g_drive    vfat            users,rw,auto           0 0
>
>       or at least, these are the bits I've put in there.
>
>       Can anyone please give me some advice as to how to read FreeBSD partitions
> under Linux? I've tried various options for the ufstype as outlined in the manpages
> for mount & fstab, but without success. /dev/hdb3 is a 20gig partition on which I've
> installed a FreeBSD filesystem with the usual subpartitions as set up by the 'auto'
> function in their version of fdisk. I'd like to have lilo offer it on bootup along
> with Gentoo & Win_XP, but I can't seem to get Gentoo Linux to recognise what's
> there. I've never tried to fiddle with BSD before, so I'm sure that the install is
> OK, but I've got something wrong here. Any ideas as to what I've done wrong?
>
>       I should add that /dev/hdb3 is, I think, an extended partition with hdb10,
> hdb11, hdb12, and hdb13 inside it.
>
> See ya & thanks
> Ken McLennan
> Brisbane, Australia.

Guy Van Sanden
http://unixmafia.port5.com

Registered Linux user #249404 - September 1997