Hi,
   I have been trying tightvnc this morning. Is it not possible to get
tightvnc to transmit the whole root window so I can see the desktop on the
vncserver machine, like I do with PC Anywhere? I thought it was, so I must
be starting the vncserver incorrectly for doing that.

   Assuming you could, then couldn't Mathieu start an X session on the
server machine, but directed to a different display, and then disconnect and
reconnect when needed? this would be a private X session and not the one
someone sitting in front of the machine would be looking at.

Mark