begin  quote
On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 10:03:39 -0800
Mark Knecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 09:38, Spider wrote:
>
> > > A long delay of about 30-45 seconds here, then:
> > >
> > > hdg: no response (status = 0xfe)
> >
> > //Spider
> >
> I did that much before I wrote back. It just doesn't seem to be
> working.

aha, okay

> title Gentoo Linux 2.4.22-aa1
> root (hd0,1)
> kernel (hd0,1)/boot/bzImage-2.4.22-aa1 ro root=/dev/hde3 ignore=hdg

that way, yes.

> Possibly it's some other delay? The last strange message I'm seeing on
> this box is about some SCSI subystem not being found, even though I've
> removed all low-level SCSI drivers from the kernel build. Maybe the
> delay has something to do with that.

I'll look around in bootparams..

ahh, found it!

/usr/src/linux/Documentation/ide.txt

seems I was misremembering, its not "ignore" but "none"
 "hdx="  is recognized for all "x" from "a" to "h", such as "hdc".
 "hdx=noprobe"          : drive may be present, but do not probe for it
 "hdx=none"             : drive is NOT present, ignore cmos and do not
probe

 "idex=noprobe"         : do not attempt to access/use this interface

HTH,
  //Spider

--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!