> I'm new to Gentoo (switching from RH9) and have become used
> to RPMs and
> their query tools.
>
> I've been looking for a way to query the Portage database to
> determine
> what's installed and get general info regarding the packages--I'm
> looking for something similar to "rpm -qa".
>
> At the end of this
> section--http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/portage-manual.xml#doc_c
> hap3--in
> the Portage user manual it indicates that there's an
> app-admin/gentoolkit to assist with Portage queries. I have
> yet to find
> this package or a way to query the Portage database.
>
> Can anyone direct me to the package or tools that I need in
> order to do
> this?

If you're familiar with rpm, emerge epm as well as gentoolkit.

epm is a script that emulates a subset of rpm commands.  It's good for
learning, but isn't functional enough to rely on.

gentoolkit contains qpkg, which is the best tool for querying portage.
"qpkg --help" should be enough to get you going.  Also, in answer to your
question, the "rpm -qa" equivalent with qpkg is: "qpkg -nc -I -v".

Good luck,

-jrh