On Monday 10 November 2003 12:08, brian connolly wrote:
> Bottom line: Gentoo's reputation is good... but definitely hampered by what
> is generally regarded as a difficult install.  You know that.
>
> Now rather than do something, per se, the typical OS dev will point to
> various reference material to "learn".  They'll talk about how that's a
> good thing.  They'll want the users to share in and relish their hobby.
>
> Excuse me... this isn't a hobby for me.  I want to minimize the learning
> curve so as to "use" it (reread Gentoo's philosophy).
>
> Bottom line: the install is difficult, and unnecessarily so.

Disagreed. The install isn't difficult; it's just that there are at least 4
different methods of installation interleaved in to the one document. The
basic stage 1 install goes:

1) Set up networking
2) Set up partitions
3) Extract stage1 tarball
4) Chroot
5) Run bootstrap.pl
6) emerge system
7) emerge kernel
8) compile kernel
8) emerge syslog
9) emerge cron
10) emerge lilo/grub

And that's the hardest of the lot! I'm not saying GLIS is a bad thing. A lot
of users are scared of a console.

Jason