> > >   Why are these revisions so different? Is it significantly
> more than a
> > >numbering change?
> >
> > Netscape 7.1 is nothing more than a repackaged Mozilla 1.2.
>
>    The whole story is a bit complicated, really.  A quick summary, from
> my (possibly faulty) memory:
>

>    Netscape 4.79 is the last of the Netscape 4 series.
<SNIP>
>    Anyhow, if you want a recent Netscape, 'emerge mozilla'
> instead.  If you emerge both, you can still use either fairly easily,
> since they'll have different names.  And while Mozilla is a lot more
> standards-compliant (the CSS handling in Netscape 4.7x is notoriously
> bad) there are still sites out there that expect the older Netscape.

Bryan, Dave and Andrew,
   Thanks for the responses.

   I am currently testing this new machine's setup using the Plugger 4.0
home page, and a bunch of links set up by its owner:

http://fredrik.hubbe.net/plugger/test.html

My goal is to be able to handle at least the multimedia data types on this
page. Can any of your setups do this? Even my Windows XP Pro box here in the
office doesn't do everything correctly, as it chokes on all of the Linux
data types, but it handles pretty much everything else.

   Anyway, this is what I'm trying to make work under Linux right now. My
presumption is that this all works for someone... ;-)

Thanks,
Mark