Greetings,

    To be to the point, I will soon (eg. the next few
days) be
attempting my first install of Gentoo. I've installed
Mandrake 8 before, but that, of course, (A) uses LILO
and (B) does the
grunt work for me. Space is no
trouble, nor is the command line, nor the install, for
I am familiar
enough with the commandline to do that much.
Forgive me for asking this, but I have a bad history
with anything
involving the bootsector, and so I want to make sure
I have everything clear for when the time comes, and
that I completely
understand the directions.
Now, for GRUB, if my primary hard-disk was setup like
this:
/dev/hda1 (The first partition): Windows 2000
Professional/MBR
/dev/hda2: Windows apps
/dev/hda3: Doc storage
And I wanted to add:
/dev/hda4: /boot partition for Linux  (Grub: 0, 3)
/dev/hda5: Linux SWAP (Grub: 0, 4)
/dev/hda6: Linux root (/) (Grub: 0, 5)
0=a1 1=a2 2=a3 3=a4
I'd start with this in the grub> prompt:
root (0, 3) //the /boot partition
setup (0, 0)

Then in the conf file:

default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,3)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz //Should
that be just /grub/splash.xpm.gz,
                since 0,3 is the /boot partition?
Then:

title=My example Gentoo Linux (genkernel)
root (hd0,3)
kernel (hd0,3)/boot/kernel-KV root=/dev/hda3
initrd (hd0,3)/boot/initrd-KV

Then for Windows 2000:

title=Windows 2000
root (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)+1

---Is that right? I've looked about the archive but I
want to be
asoloutely clear about this, as my record with the
bootsector is
less than superb. That and there's a note about the
kernell/boot partion
being relative and involving /bzImage which I don't
entirely understand.
 Thanks in advance!
                        --"Zelse"
                        (Hopefully soon to be a registered