On Monday 17 November 2003 04:55, Jason Stubbs wrote:
> On Monday 17 November 2003 10:51, Luke Scharf wrote:
> > >
> > > I always use `emerge -C some-package`, but someone else will be along
> > > shortly with a safer option.
> >
> > According to the man page, that's the official way to do it!
> >
> > "emerge unmerge " == "emerge -C "
>
> "emerge unmerge" != "emerge -C"
> "emerge clean" == "emerge -C"

Hmm, it's actually the other way round. From the manpage:
clean (-c)
   Cleans the system by removing packages that will not effect the
   functionality of the system. The arguments can be ebuilds, classes, or
   dependencies.  For example, emerge clean binutils cleans out old versions
   of binutils; emerge clean net-www/mozilla-0.9.9-r2 cleans out that specific
   version of Mozilla. This is generally safe to use. Note that clean does not
   remove unslotted packages.
unmerge (-C)
   WARNING: This action can remove important packages! Removes all matching
   packages. This does no checking of dependencies, so it may remove packages
   necessary for the proper operation of your system. Its arguments can be
   ebuilds, classes, or dependencies -- see clean above for examples.

e.g.

emerge =nano-1.2.1
--- nano-1.2.1 gets installed
emerge -u nano
--- latest nano (now nano-1.2.2) gets installed
emerge -C nano
--- unmerges all installed versions of nano
emerge unmerge nano
-- the same as above

> AUTOCLEAN=yes in make.conf will cause emerge -C to be run after every
> package is installed.

AUTOCLEAN=yes in make.conf will cause emerge -c (notice the lower-case 'c') to
be run after every package is installed. All "unprotected" packages get
removed. "Unprotected" means (as I understand it), that if there are multiple
versions of a package installed and they _cannot_ coexist together, then
every version but the most recent one are removed.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Renat