On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:46:57 +0000 (UTC), Eamon Caddigan wrote:
> Hall Stevenson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 09:47, Eamon Caddigan wrote:
> >> Hall Stevenson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Yeah, I realize I wasn't very clear: Tcl and Tk are the only masked
> >> packages on my system. Trying:
> >> ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -pvu tcl tk
> >> Indicates that I have the latest versions installed. This won't
> >help> with updating world, unfortunately. I am loathe to update world
> >using> "~x86" -- really, I just want to find out which packages have
> >newer> stable versions.
> >>
> >> I imagine this wouldn't be a problem if the ebuilds for Tcl/Tk were
> >> slot-aware. I *could* downgrade to 8.3.4, and then install 8.4 by
> >hand> in /usr/local, but I really don't want to do that..
> >
> > Try "U" instead of "u", like this:
> >
> > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -pvU tcl tk
> >
> > As I understand it, mixing "unstable", i.e. x86 packages, with
> > regular can confuse emerge/portage. The "u" flag will attempt to
> > actually downgrade you. The "U" flag won't.
>
> Right, but since I already have the latest (unstable) versions of
> Tcl/Tk, upgrading/updating them doesn't change anything. My problem is
> that emerge is returning errors when I try to update world with the
> upgradeonly flag.

Currently when using a ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=arch system and mixing it with
some ~arch ebuilds it will break 'emerge -UDvp world'. Leaving the -D
(deep) out will fix this, but of course wont upgrade the ebuilds that
aren't recorded in /var/cache/edb/world and have been installed as
dependencies. What you could do, but what is pretty uggly is:

# emerge -Uvp `qpkg -I|sed s/every ebuild that is ~arch masked//`

Or instead of substituting the masked ebuilds, you could inject them.
Also ugly IMHO. Hopefully portage-ng (the soon to be started new
portage) will fix this.

Alex