On Friday 28 November 2003 23:45, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> i don't have much bandwidth.
> sync with emerge sync is too big load here.
> i downloaded snapshot file at night.
> can i use this snapshot to syncronize my gentoo box?

Now that you've downloaded it, you can just untar it into /usr/portage. The
problem with that is that it old files don't get deleted, though. There is a
script in /usr/sbin called emerge-webrsync which will detect the latest
available snapshot, download it and update your portage tree against it. You
should probably use that next time.

Having said that, the bandwidth difference between using a snapshot and using
rsync directly (emerge sync) is minimal. Rsync uses gzip compression for
transferring and as it only downloads what is missing, the total transfer is
often less than downloading an entire snapshot.

At home, I have the equivalent of a 33.6k modem and have no problems using
emerge sync over that. It takes about 20 minutes if I sync 2 to 3 times a
week.

Jason