On 12/02/03 13:00:42, Mark Knecht wrote:
Hi,
   OK, I'm going completely buggy. I want to emerge alsa-xmms for my
2.4.20-r7 machine, but emerge is telling me it wants to emerge
development-sources also. I do not have development-sources installed.
Why must I do this?

Because according to your virtuals file development-sources is providing virtual/alsa support for your system. It may also be providing virtual/ linux-sources.

To remedy this make sure you have your running kernel (2.4.20-r7) is merged and that the virtual/alsa line in /var/cache/edb/virtuals lists media- sound/alsa-driver before sys-kernel/development-sources and lists sys- kernel/gentoo-sources before sys-kernel/developemet-sources on the virtual/ linux-sources line.

   Is there a simple way for me to stop this occurance at the command
line, or do I need to mask development-sources for some reason? Or do I
need to install it even though I don't use it? I'm seeing this alot with
Alsa packages recently, so I'm wondering if I have a make.conf option
set that's doing this?

What most likley happened is that you merged development-sources, unmerged gentoo-sources then unmerged development-sources. Being the only installed kernel at the time development-sources left itself as the only provider of virtual/linux-sources and virtual/alsa. In order for this to not happen again make sure you always have at least one kernel merged.

--
Thanks,
Thomas Achtemichuk