On Monday 08 December 2003 17:14, Black Hand wrote:
> - exist precompiled binaries for gnome2.4 and openoffice? and if i use
> Precompiled binaries
> can i recompile the same versions, for example i install precompiled
> binaries for gnome and
> openoffice, and after i reinstall the same packages, now from sources,
> is this posible with
For OpenOffice there exist an openoffice-bin package, this will prevent you
from compiling it from source (the openoffice and openoffice-bin package
blocks), but maybe someone have a openoffice bin they've made that you can
use, better ask, I don't. But I've found the openoffice-bin to be a more than
good optimized for me. I think there should be some gnome-2.4 packages, but
don't know where.

> again the sources and recompile? how i can made a binary package (local
> in my sytem) that i can
to make a package use emerge -b package, and emerge -k to install it. Or you
could set the buildpkg in FEATURES line in make.conf then all emerged ebuilds
will make packages

> - aprox how many time do you estimate that i am going to invest to build
> my system? if the time
> is going to be some weeks, i need to know to plan my time from now to
> christmas/new year/next year :)
Well, I have just helped a friend of mine installing on an old slot a athlon
750. compiling base took some hour, but we where at stage 3 after about one
day. Then took about 24 hour to compile kde, gnome and openoffice.

But then this is a very fast machine, It's strange, but it felt faster than my
old 1.33 Ghz athlon.
But I do not think you'll need more than 2-3 days to get a working system.

Hope this helps. And welcome to Gentoo, the best distro ever. (Or at least if
you're not dependent upon some binary drivers, my friend can't use his
printer because it is a shitty one (Lexmark even worse than Canon) and you
have to use redhat 7.2 or suse 8.2 to use the binary drivers.)

--
Sigurd Stordal
master in Petrology/mineralogy