On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 10:11:21AM -0800, Andrew Farmer wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 09:06:55 -0800, john gennard muttered:
> > Following the install write-up (ignoring a net connection),
> > I get to the point where after copying portage-20030911.tar.bz2
> > to /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage and chrooting and then running
> > 'env-update', 'source /etc/profile' (don't yet understand that!)
> > and 'export CONFIG_PROTECT="-* /etc/make.conf', the command
> > 'emerge -up system' still fails with the message "no profile
> > directory .. system mode unavailable".
>
> I think what you've forgotten to do is unpack the portage image. After
> copying portage-########.tar.bz2 to /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage, cd to that
> directory and "tar xvjf portage portage-########.tar.bz2" to unpack it.

Thank you. In fact I had unpacked the image, but foolishly I'd
created a portage directory in /usr and used '-xvjpf' when unpacking
and so had an extra directory. (I always have trouble with directories
- one day I may learn!)

I've now got to 'emerge sys-kernel/gentoo-sources' and find that
Gentoo automatically connects to my neighbours ADSL connection
(I certainly did not configure anything to do with the network).
I didn't get the kernel sources as ibiblio seemed to be 'crowded'
- got to 71% and Gentoo got fed up of waiting. As I have most
recent kernels on CD, I'll try to use one of those.

Grateful for your response. I'm a bit further down the road
now and also adding to my meagre knowledge.

Regards,                John.