On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Oliver Lange wrote:

> I have a .bash_profile, but i'm not sure if and which shell i'm using.
> I can only say this: i've installed gentoo. How can i fugure out which
> shell is set for my user and for the root account ?

Yep. Which again leads me to believe that somehow you aren't using bash as
your shell. While you are logged in, you can type echo $SHELL or echo
$shell (csh uses lower case while bourne-related shells use upper).

You can also cat or grep /etc/passwd to get your shell setting or, if you
have installed finger, you can finger your user. To set bash as your
shell, use the following:

usermod -s /bin/bash username

Ric