On 02/15/04  Paul Kimberley wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a quick maintenance question regarding the /usr/portage
> directory, as my /usr/portage/distfiles directory is now 2.7 Gigs and
> I'm concerned about the space.
>
> What are some safe commands I can run to clean up my portage directory
> (bandwidth isn't a factor, I don't mind re-downloading files)
>
> Can you just delete everything in the /usr/portage/distfiles
> directory? Is this safe for a cron job? What are some examples that
> you use to keep your /usr/portage directory at a reasonable level.

yes; no, unless you make sure emerge is not running at the same time as
the cronjob; wiping it quarterly and running a `emerge -ef world`.

Marius

--
Public Key at http://www.genone.de/info/gpg-key.pub

In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.