Hi,

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 10:55:24 +0200 Jose Gonzalez Gomez
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've been experiencing performance problems in my laptop (Acer Aspire
> 1522WLMi). I have the feeling that the problem is related to hard
> drive performance, as whenever I do some I/O intensive task (mainly
> tested compiling Java code) my system performance goes down, and
> switching to any other application takes a lot (hard drive performance
> problem while doing swapping?). I hasn't been able to solve it,
> although I've read doco and tried tweaking the hd peformance with
> hdparm.

Do you have
- preemption enabled for that kernel (should allow to switch apps faster
when swapping is in progress)
- some logical layers between the hard disk and the swap device (DM, other
block dev abstractions, file system...)?
- enabled a _reasonable_ io scheduler for the kernel?
- some memory eaters running (UML, VMware...)?
- checked if thermal throttling may cause that?

HWH

--
This message is made of 100% recycled bits and bytes!