James Hiscock wrote:

This is a Class 1 faxmodem, which, AFAIR, doesn't work with m|vgetty.

...yeah... [vm]getty has no support for Class 1 fax, but it's (theoretically) still ok for voice...

Hmmm - I've just looked out a manual and it seems to agree with you... and until this hint I'd no idea there even were two classes of fax support.. let alone that my pace only did Class 1 and I might need Class 2.

There was an interesting bit in the vgetty faq about potential imminent support for class 1 fax modems... but there was no hint as to a timescale. I would like to work out if it would be worth my while to look around for another cheap modem or wait... if sometime this year a usable (very small volume) support for Class 1 faxes becomes available then that would probably be fine - I've other (less convenient) options which can see me through until then.

Steve