My DSL modems's add is 192.168.1.254 so that is the default gateway.The
server's add is eth0/192.168.1.96 and I enabled ip pass through in the
modem to the server,works fine.Next I wanted to set up the server as a
router with a crossover cable to home box.home box address is
192.168.1.97 eth1/192.168.1.1 is set up for home box in server.I
followed this guide;
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/home-router-howto.xml
and I had to swap eth0 for eth1 for me eth0 is the WAN and eth1 is the
LAN.It worked but closed port 80 so I redid iptables and added this;
(Optional) Allow access to our ssh server from the WAN
# iptables -A INPUT -p TCP --dport ssh -i eth1 -j ACCEPT

But I changed it to;

# iptables -A INPUT -p TCP --dport 80 -i eth0 -j ACCEPT
That didn't open port 80 but did close the WAN for home.So I attempted
to set up a DLink router but its configuration page is 192.168.0.1 but
I'm on 168.192.1.96 and the default gateway is 192.168.1.254 so I
couldn't even get to the configuration page.Because I have to enable ip
pass through in the modem is this why iptables is not working for me?
Should I try another router? By me opening port 80 in the modem to serve
web pages over the WAN keeping me from being able to do this?I think it
can be done it's just over my head/experence.thanks