This is probably an upstream issue (if it is an issue), but I'm
wondering if anyone else is seeing this.

I have azureus-bin 2.3.0.0 installed from the ebuild, and I run it under
KDE 3.4.0. I have blackdown set as the system Java VM, but I use
java-config to change the user VM to Sun before running azureus, as
azureus vastly prefers 1.5.0 to 1.4.2 (but 1.5.0 is not appropriate for
most other Java apps, so I don't want to change the system VM).

Now, here's the weird part.

If I run azureus from the KDE menu entry, the program runs, but all
kinds of crashes occur, mostly related to the system tray:

1) If Firefox or Thunderbird (usually both) are docked into the system
tray using alltray, one or both of them will crash silently at some
point within an hour or two. Thunderbird can usually be restarted
(crashes cleanly); Firefox has to be killed from KSysGuard before
restarting (crashes dirty).

2) Azureus itself (which is also docked to the system tray), may also
crash silently for no apparent reason, on those occasions I remembered
to close Firefox and Thunderbird before starting it. When restarting, it
may or may not mention that it crashed (usually you get a little box
saying that Azureus did not close cleanly and you should check the log
to find out more).

3) Attempting to open the Configuration tab (not the Wizard, which works
fine but is limited in scope, but the full-bore tab), without fail
causes a silent crash to desktop (so I can't even tell Azureus not to
dock to the system tray).

But if I run Azureus from a terminal, none of this happens, and I can
open the Configuration tab. It's slowish, but it does open, and the
program does not crash.

I cannot figure out why this should be or where this bug might originate
 from. The original KDE menu entry was 'azureus --ui=swt', but I even
changed that to simply azureus, and turned off startup-notification, and
the behaviour didn't change. Next I'll try checking "run in a terminal",
 but I can't test that until this session finishes (as this house of
cards is fragile enough that I'd like to get the result while I can).

I also recognize that the 3.4.0 Kicker panel and system tray are in and
of themselves fairly buggy (at least on my system they crash regularly
for no apparent reason), but that doesn't explain why a completely
separate program should exhibit more instability when being run from the
K-menu than when being run from a terminal, using the exact same command
 (except that when I run it from a terminal I append '&' . Surely that
can't be it).

I know we're waiting for the ebuild for 2.3.0.2, and I know that's a
bugfix release, but if the site had a Changelog, I didn't notice it. And
of course we're waiting for KDE 3.4.1, also a bugfix release. So maybe
one or the other will solve this, but at the moment I can't even
speculate what update I need to be anticipating.

Anyway, does anybody have any idea what might be causing this weirdness,
and have a suggestion as to what I can do, or to whom I should report,
if reporting seems in order?

Holly