I have my server box (bullet) and my client box (baby).  My wife and I
take a lot of digital photos of our cats and post them on our website
for friends and family to see.  The page consists of sets of 100x100
photographs that can be enlarged if they are clicked on.  I was using a
VB6.0 program that I wrote to generate the page, but since Windows ME is
becoming rather clunky and I'd rather use Linux to do everything I
thought I'd try translating my program into PHP.

Each time I offload photos from my camera I create a directory for those
photos and name it the date I offloaded them in mmddyy format.  I then
create a list of files in that directory (ex, if I offloaded pix today I
would have called the directory 060805 and the list list060805.txt.
There is also a file called list.txt that contains each of the list
filenames on its own line.  My VB program (and now my PHP script) opens
list.txt and reads in a list filename and passes it to a subroutine
which in turn opens the list filename and formats an HTML page with the
100x100 photos organized into tables by date.  It then returns this page
to the web browser requesting it.

This php script is on bullet in the directory where the lists are.  In
theory it should work.  The first time I used mozilla on baby to go
bullet (192.168.1.2:/members/michael/camera/picindex.php) my hard drive
started going crazy.  On this computer if the hard drive is busy nothing
will work.  I had to manually poweroff the computer and restart.  I
logged back in and tried it again, thinking that the first time
something else was going on with baby.  The same thing happened and I
had to manually power down and restart.  After I restarted again and
logged back in I opened gnome-system-monitor and asked to see the Active
Process report.  Everything looked good.  I opened mozilla to my new php
script and watched as mozilla swelled up to take 623.3MB of RAM.  This
computer only has 256MB RAM with 512MB swap space.  My question is this:
If PHP is a server side scripting language, then why is mozilla
requiring so much of my RAM memory and hard drive?  Shouldn't all the
work of generating the page be being done on bullet???