reg hughson schreef:
> As shown below, why wouldn't "emerge -u world" pick up the update available
> for gdm?
>
> Actually, I think it is probably because it is not listed in
> /var/lib/portage/world so I guess I am actually wondering why it wouldn't be
> listed there?
>
> Obviously my system knows gdm is installed but how does it know this? I guess
> I was always under the impression that everything I installed would be placed
> in /var/lib/portage/world. Obviously not. I know I can edit that file and add
> gdm dut that doesn't really answer my question.

It knows this because GDM is a dependency of the gnome meta-package. If
you installed that, then GDM was pulled in as a dependency, but
dependencies are not placed in the world file. Had you installed (for
example) the gnome-light package, which does not install GDM as a
dependency, in order to get GDM you would have had to explicitly emerge
it, which would have placed it in your world file.

If you want to be sure that dependencies will be updated as well as
listed packages, use

emerge -uaD(tv) world

instead of

emerge -ua(v) world

The --deep switch makes Portage also check the update availability of
dependencies of the packages in your world file.

Hope this helps.