Steve [Gentoo] wrote:
> Hmmm - that all sounds sane, but what is this default period of time?
> What criteria must be met in order for a masked package (and
> specifically for Subversion) to become unmasked?

I *think* it is something along the lines of "30 days without a bug",
not 100% sure though.

>> Here, i just did it myself by putting this in my package.keywords
>> (create this file if it doesn't exist) :
>>
>> =dev-util/subversion-1.2.1              ~x86
>> =dev-libs/apr-util-0.9.5                ~x86
>> =dev-libs/apr-0.9.5                     ~x86
>>

> In one way this looks better than my fiddling with USE - however I'm
> reluctant to choose specific versions in a durable configuration file.
> Ideally I'd like to follow the natural upgrade cycle in future.
> Wouldn't putting those lines in my package.keywords file prevent me
> getting, say, version 1.3 automatically when I do an "emerge -uD world"
> in another few months?

the line:
=dev-util/subversion-1.2.1              ~x86
means that you tell portage that you'll accept subversion, version 1.2.1
exactly, with a keyword of '~x86'. You can use '>=' instead of '=',
which means any version equal or greater than 1.2.1.
the two following lines were the two dependencies i found by trying
'emerge -uD subversion'.

once 1.3 or any version higher than 1.2.1 becomes stable (marked 'x86'),
it will be considered by portage as well and will be merged.

Hope that helps,

Marco