Thanks for the many suggestions... Lots of interesting ideas and different perspectives.

Zac Medico wrote:

Filezilla is an ftp client that supports file transfer over ssh:
http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/
I'll give that a look - it's not really what I was after - while I suppose I wasn't really clear about my intentions, I really wanted FS-like access to enable me not only to edit text files, but also to use visual differencing tools etc. I'm suspecting that this wouldn't be supported using an ftp-like approach.

For remote X you should use nx (emerge nxserver-freenx) or vnc (emerge
tightvnc).
That's new to me - looks very interesting... I'm guessing I'd need to get this working under cygwin for my XP client... Anything which improves the performance of remote X sessions would be very useful.

To map a network drive, you should probably tunnel samba through ssh.  Google for
"samba tunnel putty".
This is exactly what I wanted to know. I hadn't thought of googling with "putty" as I'm using OpenSSH on both client and server - but the techniques look the same.

Steve