Because I need my Gentoo server to perform periodic tasks on my behalf I new I needed some implementation of "cron" - and after a brief investigation I settled on fcron as I liked the idea that I could give flexible scheduling in order to allow the OS to delay processing in the event of heavy system load. I've written a couple of my own administration tasks (to be run as my own non-root user) and these work fine.

I've noticed the directories /etc/cron.daily; /etc/cron.hourly; /etc/cron.monthly etc. and therein a bunch of non-user-specific administration tasks... For example, in ./etc/cron.daily I've logrotate.cron and rulesdujour - but none of these appear to have run in the last month. Are thse system tasks supposed to be fired automatically by fcron? What would be the easiest way to get all my periodic system administration tasks defined in these directories to be fired automatically? Did I make a sensible choice with fcron?