On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 10:28:43 -0500, Dale wrote:

> >> Then: I often transer videos from my DVB-T-receiver/recorder to my
> >> harddisk to cut out the advertising and to transcode the videos to
> >> somethings better than "ts" (transport streams),
> >>
> > These tend to be bigger, often in the GB range, so I'd use a separate
> > filesystem for them with XFS, which handles large files better in my

> He mentioned in one of the first few posts that he regularly has hard
> shutdowns.  I took that as pulling the plug.  The last bit of
> experience I had with XFS, it does not like that sort of thing to
> happen.   Each time I had a hard shutdown, I had to reinstall the OS.
> Has XFS changed so that power loss is not s problem or should he not
> use this after all?

If the system crashes so hard that even Magic SysRq can't help, he should
be fixing that first, rather than trying to find a filesystem that likes
such shutdowns. Having said that XFS is much better now and I was
recommending using it for video files, which are hardly life and death.

--
Neil Bothwick

I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great
ordeal of meeting me is another matter. - Sir Winston Churchill
(1874-1965)