On Sat, 23 Jul 2005, Philip Webb wrote:

050721 James Hiscock wrote:
My question to anyone who can advise is this:
do I just unplug the CRT & plug in the LCD ?  will it work so simply ?
In most cases, yes,
but you'll need to restart X if you do the swap while it's running.

No !  I wasn't thinking of hotplugging the monitor !

The horysontal sync & vertical refresh aren't likely to be the same,
so you'll have to adapt your current xorg.conf
I've read a few times that wrong values can harm your screen
(but never seen it happen) so be careful.
Or you can use 'xorgconfig' and answer the questions step by step.
I did this on a 17'' dell TFT at work and it worked first try.
or you could just remove the horizontal sync & vertical refresh lines
from your xorg.conf, and let xorg figure it out for you.

Thanks for the advice.  Hopefully, if the mobo & graphics card handle it,
Xorg won't have too much difficulty getting used to it.
I would assume that LCDs are less susceptible to damage than CRTs,
if they are given the wrong sync & refresh rates.

Also if I understand correctly, LCD monitors are fixed - rate, so you
have to buy one that has the resolution you like (not like CRT monitors
where you buy the highest resolution and then display at a lower rate if
you wish.