On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 09:08:09AM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote

> Also if I understand correctly, LCD monitors are fixed - rate, so
> you have to buy one that has the resolution you like (not like CRT
> monitors where you buy the highest resolution and then display at
> a lower rate if you wish.

  Some elaboration here.  You *CAN* use lower-than-native resolution.
However, that usually requires interpolation.  Going from 1280x1024 to
1152x864 or 1024x768 usually results in crummy display.  There is one
exception to this general rule.  If you divide a dimension by a whole
number, there isn't any interpolation.  Going from 1280x1024 to 640x512
or 320x256 is supposed to be nice and clean.

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca